Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Drink - Micro Distiller

A few months back an industry buddy mentioned that he had this amazing rum from Berkshire Mountain Distillers. I was less surprised to hear that a micro distiller was producing an excellent rum than I was to learn that there is actually a distillery in the Berkshires. I've been going to the Berkshires since I was 12 (more than 30 years) and this sounded too exciting not to arrange a visit.  It took a while to find a day where someone could watch the kids and my wife and I could go for  what I hoped would involve a taste or two.  We arrived to an intoxicating smell, "what is that rich floral smell???" As it turns out, that smell was their Ethereal Gin, that they were getting ready to bottle.  If it tasted half as good as it smelled, we were in for a real treat. (Mind you, I like gin as a mixer, but I don't love gin on it's own, unless of course, it's a perfect martini with a big bowl of olives.  I cannot drink a martini without a bowl of olives!)
After a good look around it was time to get serious.  The tasting began with their "basic" gin - Greylock.  Really nice round flavor and lush mouthfeel. I have never had a gin that had that kind of mouthfeel.  That was followed by 2 different batches of the Ethereal gin. All three were among some of the better gins I've had in quite a while. Next came a pear brandy that was exquisite.  The only bad news is that they had long since sold out of it.  Then came the rum I had heard about - Ragged Mountain.   Gold to amber in color and delicious!  Big round flavor with caramel and nice spice notes.  I would have gladly called it quits there, but the bourbon and corn whiskey just couldn't be passed up.  Everything we tried was more than worth the price of admission.  We gladly stopped at a local liquor store on the way home and now are in proud possession of the rum and the gin.  I wanted both gins, but if I tried bringing yet another bottle home, I think I would have been put in timeout!
I don't think they really offer tours to the public, but it's worth a trip to the Berkshires just to pick up a few bottles. Ok, perhaps enjoy the sights too! Live To Eat, Love To Drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment