Friday, July 29, 2011

The Chef And The Drink:  The Suburbs

There are those few select chefs who are worthy of a following. Wherever they open a restaurant, people will follow. For me, one of those chefs is Michael Psilakis. I had many truly memorable meals at Anthos, Dona, and Kefi.
He has recently opened a restaurant in the suburbs on Long Island - MP Taverna. The reviews are resoundingly great and it sounded worth a visit. I just dined there with my wife and had my second phenomenal meal there.  I have never before eaten octopus that was so light and tender.  The dumplings were even lighter.  Scallops that were as sweet and fresh as any I've ever had.  A delicious lamb burger and a bulgur salad that made me rethink my lack of passion for that grain.  Everything was perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned and left me wanting to make my next reservation immediately. One of the many delights turned out to be a beer.  I tried the Widmer Brothers - Brothers' Reserve Barrel Aged Brrrbon - limited release #3.  Quite tasty, with some definite bourbon sweetness mingling with the malt.  Big price tag, but worth it.
If you find yourself stuck in traffic on the LIE, get off at Roslyn and go have an amazing meal while the traffic and your stress fade away.

Live To Eat, Love To Drink

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! I am particularly curious about the beer you tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried it yet? We have a bottle on hand that I picked up recently. Perhaps for the big game this weekend?

      Delete