Friday, July 22, 2011

What I've Been Drinking Lately

I recently acquired a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12, the new non-chill filter release. I have to confess, I was never the biggest fan of their product.  I read last year about the resurgence of the distillery and carelessly paid it no mind. But, this really impressed me.  For now, I'll refrain from slapping a score on "reviews" and simply say that it's worth trying. Not as peaty as some of it's Islay counterparts, but quite nice and balanced.
I've also still been enjoying a bottle of Glenmorangie Finealta. Much bigger, deeper, and rounder than the standard Glenmo bottlings. I recently poured that for some friends, who consider themselves bourbon drinkers and not really scotch fans. They loved it and half the bottle vanished that night (no angel share involved.)
It's summer, so I've been busy with tequila lately. If you haven't had Riazul yet, look for it. Their blanco and reposado are great and make a mean cocktail. Their anejo is truly worthy of sipping neat after dinner.
Being a lover of peaty malts, I love a good mezcal. Something that until recently in the US was a bit of an oxymoron. If you like mezcal or are looking for one to try, check out Pierde Almas. There are about 6 in their lineup, all good.
And of course, it is bourbon season. Spent last Sunday grilling and a friend asked for some bourbon. Had a little mint growing in the yard, so offered up a quick Mint Julep. The bottle of Woodford Reserve smelled so good, I couldn't resist and had to join her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment