Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Chef and the Drink: Robert Burns Night

Well, there are those nights that really tell all. Not in terms of how much you eat or drink, but how devoted you are and how much fun can you have being that super fan or übergeek?
For me, Robert Burns night has  been that night for close to 15 years. A dear friend used to host a Burns Night party and they are darned near legendary.   He tired of being the perennial host, we found ourselves living in the burbs, and the time seemed right for a passing of the torch.  So last weekend, my wife and I found ourselves hosting our first Burns Night.  In case you don't know, it is a celebration of the birth of the famed Scottish poet Robert Burns. The evening always includes malt Whisky, the reading of some Burns' poetry, and ideally the eating of a haggis.  Yes, haggis!
Our friend always said "kilts suggested and tartan required."  Those first few years were a hoot with some of the most unique makeshift kilts anyone has ever seen:  women's skirts (worn by men), plaid flannel bed sheets wrapped around the waist, radically altered shirts (altered by men normally not so handy with a needle and thread), and even a simple pair of tartan boxers.  I have to confess that I was the bed sheet guy, but hey, we all had a blast playing Scotsman for a night and overindulging in Whisky and haggis.  Yes, the haggis only consisted of an organ or two but was stuffed back into the stomach and cooked fairly traditionally.  There were assorted readings of Burns poems and it was always a fitting tribute.  Eventually, a kilt was gifted to me and my look became much more authentic.  Our host and I learned more and more about Whisky and refused to serve lousy malts (there's just not enough time on this planet to waste it on cheap malt and to not share the good stuff with your friends.)  I even became the guy who read the Address to a Haggis.
Well now it was our turn. Most of our suburban friends are malt Whisky novices. Plenty of bourbon drinkers, but not so many malt drinkers.  We asked the same of our guests, "kilts or tartan please." Their performance on that front was a little weak, as there were only 3 kilted guests out of 21, but they did bring their enthusiasm to try some fine malts, hear 2 poems, including the infamous address to a haggis, and even their willingness to try my haggis. Yes, it was the first one I ever prepared. It did involve some heart and was baked as a loaf, but otherwise flavored traditionally.
As for the lineup of Whisky, I tried to make sure there was a little something for everyone:  Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'Or, Glenlivet Nadura, Glenfiddich 15, Aberlour Abunadh, Glenfarclas 17, Highland Park 18, Springbank 15 (a gift from our former host) Bowmore Dusk, Darkest, and Dawn, Laphroaig 10, and Ardbeg 10. 
We did surprise quite a few guests by finding a Whisky that truly worked for them. My actress wife surprised our guests with her ability to read Burns and I think my rendition of To a Haggis floored them. After all, I had already read it for 10-12 years, if I haven't nailed it yet, I think it's long past the time to quit trying. 
It looks as though this will be the first of many a Burns Night in our little town. Next year, we'll enforce the dress code a little bit more and try to prevent all of those bourbon drinkers from shifting over towards the end of the night. Perhaps even an extra organ or two in the haggis!

No matter what, Live to Eat, Love to Drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment