Friday, February 10, 2012

The Drink - A Special Occasion Dram

Well, I just turned another year older.  I had every intention of finishing the last of a 30 year old Islay malt that I have had hidden away for years. It is a real rarity and the price exploded shortly after I picked it up 15 years ago, so there is NO chance of replacing it. There's just enough for 2 people to sit and enjoy a full drink each.  I told my wife a few days prior, that we would be indulging in something really special, the last of an Ardbeg 30. I have a few industry buddies that are probably ready to kill me now, as I told them the bottle was finished years ago.  Well, the good news/bad news:  my birthday turned into a total bust and we never got to have THE drink. The baby came down with an ear infection, dinner out turned into sushi delivered, the kids went to bed late, we were exhausted, and the birthday boy was a little too crabby for that special dram. I know, you might argue that a crabby bust of a day NEEDED that dram, but I really wanted to be happy when I poured a drink like that.  So that drink awaits.
The birthday dram was however, far from a total loss.  Two nights prior, my wife and I were heading out to dinner and my folks were coming over to babysit. It just seemed like the time to pull out something really special, especially since dad was my first Whisky buddy.  Down to the library I went. The Islay malts just seemed too heavy for the night.  Perhaps something rich and malty without the smoke? Highland?  Speyside?  I started moving bottles out of the way and looking at the back of each row, where the treasures lie.  Ah, there it was, Highland Park 25!  What a perfect way to start my birthday weekend!  It had been years since I last tried it and it did not disappoint. HUGE rich and round. Lots of toasty oak notes and even a slight tannic dryness, but truly delicious.  There's enough left that I think that it might just become my new true special occasion bottle.
Of course, that Ardbeg 30 is still calling my name. But, my wife now has the cold that took out my big girl last week and smacked the baby yesterday.  I guess when we are all healthy, we'll have to finally finish it and have that belated birthday dram.m I like the sound of birthday celebrations lasting a week or two?,

Live To Eat, Love To Drink

No comments:

Post a Comment