Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Drink - New Small Batch Bourbon

I was recently given a sample of the new colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Single Barrel  Bourbon.  I was hoping for a quiet moment to try it and that arrived 2 days after it arrived.  My wife went out with a friend and I parked myself on the couch with some good music playing.
I hadn't seen tasting notes and thought I was sampling a 10 year old, but really wasn't sure.  The only info on my little 50 ml sample was 100 proof.  (It is 11 years and 7 months.)  The nose was big and complex.  The mouthfeel was thick and lush.  The flavors just kept coming!  There was only one other bourbon I've ever had that offered this range of fruit.  Was that blueberry? blackberry? apricot?  I could not quite put a name to it (maybe it was more than one of them?). Regardless, this whiskey is incredible!  It's sweet, spicy, fruity, balanced, and keeps you wanting more.  (probably a good thing all that I had at my disposal was 50ml!)
It does apparently come with a hefty little price tag of about $75, but supply is limited and if you are game, I can safely say that you will not be disappointed if you get the chance to sample it.
But wait, there's more! There are two more Taylor releases. There is "The Original Sour Mash" bottling (look for blue writing on the bottle.). Another huge deeply flavored bourbon with lush round notes. I didn't get to taste e two side by side, but it is also exquisite. And now, I hear there's the "Tornado Release.". Haven't had the pleasure of that one yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.
The E.H. Taylors are all from the Buffalo Trace family and I hope there will be a steady supply of these in the future and that it was not just a brief trio of experiments.

Live To Eat, Love To Drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment